Total Solar Eclipse 2017
August 21, 2017
Illinois is home to the point of greatest duration for the SOLAR Eclipse! According to the US Naval Observatory’s eclipse page, there is a point in the Shawnee National Forest (just south of Carbondale) that will see 2m44s of totality! Good Excuse to visit to the Wine Trail. The Shawnee Hills Wine Trail will have bands playing and will be welcoming travelers from all over the world.
Things you need to know before traveling to Southernmost IL…
1. Make your reservations for lodging a year out. All Lodging will fill up fast. Most will start taking reservations 1 year out. Some lodging will raise their rates for this event and have a minimum of night stay.
2. You will need solar eclipse Glasses to protect your eyes. Don’t show up with out them you will be sorry.
3. It will be Hot in August. Bring lots of water, sun screen, and shorts.
4. Get a map, GPS is not always accurate.
5. Make a plan, and if it rains always have a backup plan.
The Union County Fair ( a traditional midwestern Americana setting) will also be going on at the same time, make plans to attend.
August is a great time to visit several other places in Southernmost Illinois, like the the Shawnee National Forest, and Giant City State Park, Zip Line at Shawnee Bluffs Canopy Tours, Canoe the Cache Rive with White Crane Guide service and many more.
For Lodging of course check out the Cobden Cabins(Tree House coming soon). Davie School Inn is an award winning Inn with huge Suites. And the Shawnee Wine Trail Lodging Association has many options to choose from.